Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Even keel people frighten me

You know those types of people, the ones who are very measured and calm in their tone and movements. Unlike me....anyone who knows me knows I am not even toned, calm or quiet. Words that do describe my personality are things like expressive, animated, over the top......you get the point. Well lately it's come to my attention that these personality traits I possess are not "normal". I mean I've always know I wasn't "normal" (man I hate that word) but I've always sort of embraced it as part of who I am...my charm but now I'm wondering why others can't see that as well. I've been told I get amped up pretty easily....I prefer to call it passionate!

Last night my new class started - HR Management. My teacher is a an HR person at the U of M and also a lawyer, he is obviously driven and he is very thoughtful about his words. He is very calm and appears to be very intelligent and is very measured and even in his delivery of material. He doesn't mess around, he seems to have a sense of humor but when he laughs he just sort of smiles and doesn't seem to give into a big old out loud laugh. I think he and I on a desert island would be an interesting combo. I'd probably drive him to drink salt water in about 10 days...maybe 8 if there were no chance of rescue.

At my mid year review a few weeks back there were a few comments made that sort of bothered me at the time but until last night I didn't realize why....I mean I knew why at the time but last night it sort of clicked the proverbial light bulb on for me. I'm not normal....I'm not and I'm TOTALLY ok with that but it seems most others aren't. Funny....I remember growing up with my mom spouting things like "just because everyone else is jumping off the bridge doesn't mean you have to jump too" and yet here I am....40 some years old and people in many parts of my life telling me to jump with the rest of the fools. Hmm, interesting. I don't know if I want to drink that kool aide. I like who I am...I like what I do and most importantly I'm not "normal". I'm ok with that and frankly I think others should come over to my side of the bridge...I'm having Crystal Light!

No comments: