Thursday, July 31, 2008

Beauty by society standards

Now I wouldn't call myself a beauty but I am not exactly hideous either. I find that the older I get the more I (try) to care about my appearance. I try not to go out in public looking like I literally just crawled out of bed, now I may feel like that (most) days but I try to look presentable. It always astonishes me when fairly attractive people come to work looking like they just got out of bed...like just 5 seconds ago. Can't they spare a few minutes to run a comb through their hair or my God slap on a little lipstick? Of course they also are able to get away with a day or two looking like that because they have their physical beauty that distracts most people from their dishelved outwardly appearance...right? What would your reaction be if you saw say some celeb out looking like that and me...you'd think oh they must be working so hard and me...you'd probably just think I was lazy. Right? Hey...I don't make the rules.

I'm certainly not one to judge beauty by any means but there are some days I'm surprised by the attention my clothes or particular outfit attracts and even on a super good day my hair. When people say you look nice today or I love that outfit I think - what the hell? Image is important. Isn't that why I try to look presentable everyday, I run a comb through my hair, slap on some lipstick and by God I try to wear clothes that make me look presentable even though I'm not society's vision of beauty. Which by the way I personally could care less about.

Beauty is a funny concept. When I think about some of what I would consider the beautiful people in my life I don't know that according to Glamour magazine or Self or some other beauty magazine they would meet the so called standards of beauty. Isn't beauty more about how one person treats another human being or even themselves? I say yes. I also know some really physically beautiful people that just aren't really that beautiful. See...it's all a mix mash of stuff. Isn't it funny what kinds of thoughts begin to fill ones head when you see a physically pretty person looking all disheveled and a hot mess early in the morning. Hmm, maybe there is hope for me after all.

1 comment:

TT. said...

Um, the phrase is "hot TRANNY mess," thank you very much. But yes, Fifi, you are one fierce chick.

Speaking of which, did you know that I've realized I'm willing to spend $60 a month on cable pretty much JUST for Project Runway? Even if they put out four new episodes in a month, that's $15 per episode. Jesus.