Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Turning the page

So with the new year comes the idea that life can start over new. That you can wave good-bye to the past and start fresh. It's time to turn the page of that tired old book, the entire page, not just dog-ear it, but turn it and move on.

It's so simple to say. At the beginning of the year you feel re-charged and empowered and in total control of your thoughts and feelings, but as things come at you and begin to chip away at your newly adorned coat of armour, it gets harder and harder to keep that momentum going and that positive intent intact.

I am a firm believer in two things:
  1. You get what you give - meaning if you do good, you get good. Maybe not right away, but overall. If you treat people the way you want to be treated, overall that is what you get.
  2. The Universe always gives you what you need even if you don't know it at the time.

These two principals guide my thoughts and actions most of the time. I'd like to say ALL the time but the reality is, sometimes I think I know better and let's face it....I don't.

I keep thinking how easy it is to manage keeping the positive thoughts flowing on a minute to minute basis. Every time I start to feel that old negativity and what I call "no-no" thoughts creeping in, I just stop, breath and try to re-focus. It's not easy and I'm not sure how long it will or can last but it's worth trying. You get what you give....so I am giving it my best attempt...I just have to keep walking the walk....and hopefully the talk will come.

It's funny, I wrote, or started to write an article for my quarterly IAAP newsletter on clearing the clutter...how to get rid of stuff and create a harmonious living space and as I was writing it, I wandered off onto clearing the clutter from not just your external space but your internal space too. Such as taking time to meditate and clear your mind of the "clutter". Not to over-book yourself or cut out the things that aren't "productive" to yourself or your life. I realized how easy it is to write that and suggest that to others but to incorporate it into your own life is much different.

Guess I should really read the pages of my own life.

No comments: