Monday, May 12, 2014

There is a difference...isn't there?

I grew up in the 60's.  In those days we weren't taught the value of being true to ourselves, we weren't taught to dance to our own beat....we were taught to do what we are told, follow the same path our parents did, our grandparents and for God's sake...don't stand out!  So....where did I go wrong?

We grew up in an irish catholic (sort of - when it was convenient) household.  That meant we went to church on Sundays, not my dad of course, he worked soooo hard all week, he didn't have to go.  We had big family dinners with our extended family often and we learned the value of money early on. Because there were so many of us, we were not a family of lots of extras.  I had my first paying job at age 11 and I think I've pretty much worked since then.  I don't really ever remember a time I wasn't working. I've always wanted more...better clothes, prettier hair, toys, anything more.  It's always been a fight....I'm exhausted.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to give up, let go or move on...and really...what is the difference?

Giving up to me feels like quitting, like you're throwing in the towel and just not going to do it anymore.  Kind of like a bad relationship, you give up, you stop fighting against what is real and stop pretending things are fine the way they are and you walk away, you turn the page, you give it up.  It doesn't have to be a negative thing, it just is.  I've given up on friendships, jobs, and even myself.  It's not always bad, it just means you have to stop fighting against what is. 

Letting go seems to be a more zen based option.  You surrender and trust in things. You move forward with delibert actions. You are able to know what is the truth and with your inner knowings you recognize that doenst need to continue and you turn the page and move on...letting the past be in the past and you move forward with hope and contentment towards the future.

Moving on would appear to be the final step in either situation above.  It's like the next step once you decide your course of action. It's a choice, it's like you are choosing to take a jump and not actually falling.  You can look past what is, what was and where you are and move forward, get on with it.  Shake off the past and see where the fork in the road goes.

So...what is the difference?  Is there really one?  Actually, all those steps are getting past the stuff that isn't working.  The relationship, the life, the job, the friends....everything that isn't bring you happiness and fullfillment in your current state....so I guess no matter what you want to call it, the first step is actually going to be the action. 

Change without action is pointless.

No comments: