Saturday, August 2, 2008

Getting old is going to suck

I realize we are all getting older, I'm older than I was two seconds ago when I started writing this but man...it's going to suck. I spent some time with my mom yesterday and for the first time I realized...she is old. I mean she is really moving slower than ever, partially because of some physical ailments but partially man...she is old. I mean shesh...after all that's her body has been through this year alone I can't beleive she is even willing to go out of her house. I took her to Trader Joe's for the first time. It was kind of fun to watch her shopping because even at her age she was all about reading labels. It's no surprise to anyone who knows me or my family we have a weight issue...I've been in Weight Watchers since I was 15 years old...or some other type of program to lose weight....pretty much most of my family has the same issues. My mom as soon as she was physically ready after her near death experience got right back into her routine about her eating and going back to Weight Watchers. Now possibly she is just going through the motions but she counts her points. She pulled out her little chart that tells her how many points were in almost every item she bought. It made me smile to see a woman who was knocking on deaths door calculating how many points are in a box of organic shredded wheat.

I also live in a building with alot of elder residents. Thursday we held an ice cream social. I realize I really enjoy doing these kinds of public events....I love it. I was in charge of whipped cream...I also enjoyed that. It was fun to get to spend some time not only getting to know the residents a bit more but to get to spend some time with my new co-workers whom I usually have 5/10 or 30 minutes with as we pass shift times. I would hang with some of them personally but some others....never. As I served ice cream to people I realized sometimes it really is just the little things that make people happy. Many of the residents were so thrilled and happy to have some event or fun thing to come do on a random Thursday evening. Hell I was excited to have something to do on a Thursday night. When ever I do go out and have fun it takes me a few days to recover - it might help if I could get my mind to stop obsessing about the things I have no control over....that would help me sleep more at night....oh well...getting old is going to suck but hopefully it will be a slow ride.

Here's one more random thought to add to the list....I love quotes - positive thought provoking quotes. They inspire me and sometimes make me feel like I am not all alone in the world...that someone has reached into that dark scary mind of mine and plucked the very thoughts/words I was trying to say and put them out there for the world to see/read/hear. I have a new book that made me stay up way to late last night called This is Not The Life I Ordered (thanks Becky) and it's quite thought provoking. No huge new insights but lots of great quotes. I think I need to read more....more than just my school stuff anyway. Maybe I'll add that to my list of things to do with the last few months of this year.

No comments: