Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Change is good but I don't want to be first

"Sometimes in the winds of change we find our true direction."


Change is not easy but it is simple. Things will always change. We don't have a choice about that, but we do have a choice about how we react to change; whether or not we choose to create change. The choice really boils down to this......either we manage change or it will manage us.


I'm tired of things managing me. I want to be in charge, in control. I want to decide how I'm feeling, what I'm going to do next instead of blowing in the wind or letting someone else steer my ship. Sounds good in theory right. I am woman hear me roar!


Change is an emotional process. We are all creatures of habit who usually resist it and welcome routine. Uncharted waters are freaking scary! It's time to let things go....to set them free so I can move on. It doesn't matter where they go, they don't even need to come back to me they just need to go.....away.....so I can begin again. I'm really tired of the same old same old. It's time to shake things up and stop waiting for someones hand to hold as I step out of my box. It's time for me to learn to do this all by myself.


I like routine, a pattern, it feels safe, trusted, comfortable. I can count on it and when it's taken away from me without my permission it kinda freaks me out. In the long run, however, sameness is really just being on the fast tract to mediocrity. Mediocre doesn't survive. Websters defines mediocre as of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance, ordinary, so-so.


Anyone who knows me knows the hairs on my neck rise when I'm compared to being average, or ordinary and so-so......yikes.....that word makes me scream out loud. I've fought hard my whole life to not be any of those things and lately I've felt like that's all I was....so-so. Weird how we shift our thinking so easily. I heard this quote yesterday "When patterns are broken, new worlds emerge."

Well people...it's time to see a whole new world. It's time to shake things up, it's time to break that patterns of mediocre and create a new world that is better than the one I'm in. Is it going to be easy? Of course not, nothing ever is. This means I need to plan, commit, have patience and most of all courage....courage to step outside my comfort zone all on my own.


The truth, of course, is that change can be really good, healthy, empowering. It's pushing ourselves outside of our comfort zones; to step onto that new path and just start walking.


Oh jesh. I'm not really sure I can do this.

3 comments:

TT. said...

You know, instead of just being in this constant state of anguish over this massive concept of CHANGE you have in your head (yes, all caps), why don't you just choose one thing -- "I'm going to change item x by doing action x." and then working on that until it becomes comfortable. Then move on to item y and action y and work on that, etc. I think you're trying to chop down a whole forest all at once. Try one tree at a time and see how that works.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Troy...one marvelous step at a time-no wonder you feel overwhelmed!!

Schnoodler said...

yep Troy's got it.