Monday, June 21, 2010

Turning mediocrity into greatness

When you want to live outside your own bubble, it takes dedication and discipline to push yourself to that next level. Some of us are able to harness that and use it, others....not so much. When an average performer reached the end of their day they call it quits, they toss in the towel and stop, call it done. Those who want more, are usually just getting started. What separates them from us, er, well, me? What do they know that I just don't get?

Discipline. That's ultimately what it comes down to. Discipline is the watchword of great performers. It makes the difference between the good and the great. The great ones will tell you discipline is more of a decision than it is an active skill. It's the ability to stay the course and complete promises you've made. The fulfillment of these promises builds confidence and self-esteem, which eventually leads people to believe almost anything is possible. It's a habit and a self-fulfilling prophecy built into one. Discipline is a logic-based decision that performers adhere to, regardless of whether they feel like it or not.

How do you learn discipline? How does one acquire the skills to push past pain and punishment and disappointment to get to that next level? Is it really as simple as changing your mindset? Does one have to disregard things like feelings and emotions to propel themselves to the next level? Doesn't it really come down to the fact that you get out of life what you put into it? Ultimately isn't that what it's really about?

I've never been what one would define as a over achiever. Yes I can at times be 100% dedicated and committed to something but over achiever, go getter, disciplined....nah...not who I am. I want to be, I kind of crave that sort of power over myself but I just don't see it happening. I wish I had that much passion and purpose in my life. Maybe I do but I've just never harnessed it. I wonder what amazing great things I could accomplish if I just put my mind to it, if I became that person I admire...or at least displayed those traits in others I admire. It might be an interesting test. Can one just randomly push themselves to the next level?

No comments: