Friday, April 16, 2010

Simpler times

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own world, our needs, our wants, our own craziness that we forget about the simpler times in our life. Sometimes when you really aren't thinking - it happens.

As I was driving to work this am flipping radio stations because I'm bored with the CD's in my player and just haven't changed them yet and I detest the morning blather most radio shows tout, I all of a sudden hit a station that threw me back to my younger days and the simpler times. I remember when a Saturday meant something. It was a time to hang with my friends, to do something wild and crazy like maybe hang at the mall, see a movie or if I was feeling particularly "wild" - roller skate. Yes, I got my "wheel" on a time or two. I never did perfect the backwards skate but it was ALWAYS my goal. The song "Keep It Coming Love" by KC and the Sunshine band was just starting. Insert dream sequence here.

I remembered the first time I really noticed that song...I was at a Halloween skating party and I was grooving along when suddenly that song came on, the lights kind of dimmed, the disco balls were in full swing and this boy I had always had a terrible crush on came up next to me and took my hand. We didn't say a word, we just skated in that endless circle over and over and over and when the song ended and he let go of my hand and that was it. That was all I had, that one tiny moment in time. Simpler times.

Maybe that's why I try to capture a "moment" in film....to take me back to a happy place, to a moment in time where I was happy, I meant something to someone, for a second, for a minute, for a day...where I felt like for a fleeting moment, the world was mine. That's what those times mean....at least to me.

So I googled the lyrics to the song...which oddly enough I could remember almost ALL of the lyrics.....

Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop!Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop it!Don't let your well run dry, don't stop it now.Don't give me no reasons why, don't stop it now!Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop!Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop it!Don't build me up just to let me drop, don't stop it now!Don't turn me on just to turn me off, don't stop it now!Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop!Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop it!Don't tell me there ain't no more, don't stop it now!Don't turn me down and just close your door, don't stop it now!Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop!Keep it coming, love! Keep it coming, love!Don't stop it now, don't stop it, no, don't stop it now, don't stop it!

And really, who is surprised that there isn't more to this song than the good beat (easy to skate to) and the same sets of words over and over and over. With a few (three to be exact) little sentences that aren't the chorus....it was a hit! If you read the three sentences that aren't part of the chorus it's kind of strange how much it really is a message that is current for today. Nothing much changes....we get in relationships...or try to....with the wrong person all the time. That doesn't change over time....we try to give our hearts to someone who clearly doesn't want them. Weird how simple the message is and yet how it's also ageless.

I want the simpler times back. I want to look forward to a Saturday event that was as simple as a roller skating night. It's hard to be an adult.

No comments: