Thursday, April 29, 2010

The thinking game

Late at night when the world has shut down and it's quiet and peaceful my mind races like a high speed chase on a bad TV show. First thing in the morning, the second my eyes open, my mind engages and I have to get up to distract it....to do something else to stop it from just rambling down these paths that always lead no where.

I read a great quote yesterday and I keep thinking about it....I don't know how to make it fit into my blog or even my own thoughts but I can't get it out of my head. I keep thinking, there has to be some way for me to use this great statement - "Empty storefronts dotted the brick buildings in between like missing teeth in an uneasy smile."

I love that line....there is just something about it that puts such a visual image in my head. For some reason it made me think of my childhood, of the things I would see out the car windows as we drove some place. The cities we drove through in Chicago that seemed to be blocks of store fronts all boarded up, graffiti covered boards and people sitting on the ground asking for money. It took me back to a time in my life where I sat in the backseat watching the world go by imagining the life I'd some day live.

I miss things about my childhood like the cool TV shows that used to be on. I don't remember TV being so consumed with commercials either. I miss the way they would play those School House Rocks blurbs between shows. I learned more from those probably than I did from school. I miss the way they used to show film strips in class to teach us about volcano's or history....I miss that you used to be able to ride your bike to the corner store without worry. I miss those terrible school lunches that cost .75 cents. Simpler times.

Change is inevitable, progression is good. I like that fact that we recycle, that we do things to save energy but I also like that I don't have to wash out a bread bag and reuse it. I kind of like the oddly disposable lifestyle I live. It's a double edge sword. I like what I like and I like the way things used to be.

It all started with thinking. Funny little ducks we are.

No comments: