Friday, August 7, 2009

Saying hello

I admit it, often I live in my own bubble. I am wrapped up in my own thoughts, my own feelings, my own garbly gookiness that makes me "me". Especially in the morning. I get up and out the door pretty early most days and it takes me awhile to kick into gear. I usually drive to work with the radio blaring but I sort of stare ahead with a fresh from the grave glazed look. Probably not the best way to be driving but it's true.

Sometimes things happens to snap you out of your own daze and today I got the giggles as I came trudging into work and this moment happened.

Here's the scene: I am house and dog sitting for a friend, she has two labs who apparently don't appreciate a thunderstorm (me either) or rain....it kinda freaks them out so they climb into bed with me thinking they are lap dogs...they are not. Anyway....I woke up at 5:30am with these baby's...decided to get up, shower, feed them and come into work...my plan is to leave early. So in my daze I come trudging into the building dodging raindrops and as I am walking towards the escalators the cleaning woman who I see almost every day as I come in starts smiling and waving aggressively in my directiong while yelling "good morning"!

I snap out of my haze and wave back enthusiastically and yell back "morning"....that's when I see the confused look on her face. I am thinking....what? Did I forget to get dressed? Nope, I'm good but I am now quite confused. I turn to get on the escalator and that's when I see a person behind me....also a cleaning person, whom she apparently was waving and shouting good morning to. I start to giggle and kinda bust out laughing thinking she has to think I am a super freak.

However, I think we are going to be BFF's now....for sure...because now we have established a bond, a connection- a relationship if you will and going forward she is going to HAVE to acknowledge and wave to me or it will be really awkward. ha. Isn't it funny when we start to live outside our own moments the things that happen. If I had just stayed in my daze I would have missed that moment and I would have just continued on my way and I wouldn't have this new connection. I can't wait to see this woman again so I can wave enthusiastically at her and shout "good morning"!!!

It's all about little moments. These seconds in time that we don't really think about, that we don't think matter or make a difference but then somewhere along the way it comes back to you and you think...humpf....that did matter, that did make a difference. My one friend and I call it "spreading our joy". We like to make comments to strangers about things they are wearing or doing or whatever....we like to make note of it. To make someone smile, to get outside of their own self for a few minutes and we have seen the effect it has on them. Sometimes we encounter the same person twice, like the barista at our favorite coffee shop and they remember us. They seem to greet us differently, or they stand straighter or they smile knowing we are there to add some unexpected joy to their day. It's all about these little moments.

Too bad we can't bottle them up and save them for rainy days. To brighten up our own souls when they need it. We need out own joy keepers.

No comments: