Thursday, August 13, 2009

You're Beautiful

I can't imagine what life would be like if you were born just spectacularly beautiful. I mean you don't even have to work at it beautiful. I have been involved a lot in my own thoughts lately and one of my favorite things to do is sit and stare at the world and ask questions. I always have questions, it's the answers I don't know much about.

I look at some people and they are breathtaking. Maybe they've spent hours getting that way, some have you can tell, but some just are. They are beautiful without having to do anything. I imagine life is an open book for them. They are the chosen ones. I think about that and wonder how would life be different if I were one of the "beautiful" people.

I have my days where I feel pretty darn good about myself....and I have days when people comment on how I look...in positive ways and I often am surprised and shocked by it. I always want to say "um do you know who I am?" But I don't.....I thank them and I then ponder it. What makes today any better than yesterday? Did I spend a little more time preening? Why is today a particularly good hair day? I don't have the answers...again, more questions than actual answers!

In my world it seems that the beautiful people live charmed lives. They have doors opened (figuratively and literally) in front of them all of the time. They have boys (or girls!) falling all over themselves to be with them, to buy them things, to spend time with them to want to just do things for them. I see it all the time. They smile, shake their ass a bit and wala....the doors of opportunity fly open.

Is it enough? Is it superficial? Are they truly happy? What happens when their looks go away because they always go. Time is not kind to any body. I don't care how much surgery you have, time is not a friend to any of us. Things droop, we wrinkle, we grey, we sag, expand and yet if someone truly loves us they don't see any of that. I can barely let anyone see that now much less thinking what 10 or 20 more years will bring to this body. Ugh.

I imagine beautiful people are happy and content with their lives and they never want for anything. Realistically I know that's not true but beautiful = happy....doesn't it? I know...there is much more to a person than their outsides. I've been banking on that fact for years, I get that, I understand that but the reality is people want the pretty people. They want to be them, to be seen with them, to be one of them - is there a privilege to being beautiful?

When it comes to society’s standards of beauty, there are many common notions like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "beauty is only skin deep" but what about us average folks? What have we to offer? I guess we help to put the pretty ones up on those pedestals they are on. We keep them there. Is being pretty on the inside even possible? How do you transform that to pretty on the outside?

No comments: