Thursday, February 4, 2010

Giving up or accepting?

There are somethings I know for sure:
  • I know I'll never be a super model
  • I know I'll never be without grey hair again, well without some help
  • I know I'll never have children of my own.
  • I know I'll never wear a size small of anything

These things I accept. I know these things for sure, but when do you decide to accept your own realities and short comings and when is it giving up?


Do I give up the battle against the grey hair and let it go? Every morning I get up and I try to look decent. I shower, comb my hair, put on make-up and attempt to be sure my clothes match or at least make me look some what acceptable for work. Some days are a miserable missed attempt but overall, I do OK.

I try to make sure when I leave my house, I look like I care about my appearance and I try to keep my house in some what of decent shape in case the unexpected guest drops by....I accept this as part of who I am and what I have decided is important in my life. At some point do we have to re-evaluate that?


I see people every single day that don't appear to make any type of an attempt to groom themselves in a public friendly manner. They either have severe bed head, wrinkled clothes or really don't look like they put any or much effort into making themselves presentable. And who hasn't seen some hair that makes you go....my god...don't they own a mirror? But I wonder, is that their reality? Is that what they have accepted as the norm? Or have they given up?

How do you know where to draw that line in the sand?

Lately life has taken on a bit more of a hectic, frantic, out of control phase for me. Work, family, friends, part time work...all has it's merits as well as it's faults. Don't even get me started on my love life! So maybe that's wearing me a bit but really, when do you decide to stop fighting and just give up? Is giving up failing? Is accepting what IS the right thing? Aren't we suppose to constantly strive to make our lives better for ourselves by reaching outside our comfort zone to grow and become better and stronger than we ever thought we could be?

It seems utterly exhausting. I feel like I don't know why I fight it....why do I struggle for a better job? To have the right person in my life? To maintain friendships with people who clearly don't make me a priority.....what's it worth?

I think we do have to stop and ask ourselves...are we really going down the right track or are we forcing ourselves to stay on some path that clearly is wrong? When do we give up and accept that we are exactly who and where we are suppose to be?

If that's the truth....what's next?

1 comment:

SOUL said...

"are we forcing ourselves to stay on some path that clearly is wrong?"

i ask myself that question all the time.
but i don't know the answer.

is this my life? the way it's sposed to be?
or have i simply got comfortable here.

how do i change it.

do i change it?

duno. yet.

but thank you for making me think about it.

again.

someday i will take action - in one form or another.

happy weekend-