Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Rainbow Connection

Legend has it that at the end of every rainbow sits a leprechaun with a pot of gold. If that’s true, apparently I’ve only been finding the wrong end of that rainbow for a long long time.

Rainbows occur when sunlight is refracted through rain droplets and create an arc-shaped spectrum of colors in the sky…this is the reality of what creates a rainbow. But what about the metaphoric rainbow?

As Kermit the Frog sings : Why are there so many songs about rainbows, and what's on the other side? Rainbows are visions, but only illusions, and rainbows have nothing to hide........Who said that every wish would be heard and answered when wished on the morning star? Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices? I've heard them calling my name. Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors. The voice might be one and the same. I've heard it too many times to ignore it. It's something that I'm supposed to be. Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Life seems to constantly get harder as we get older. When we are younger it feels like we are protected from a lot of life's issues. Our parents try to protect us from death and scary things. I remember as kid a firework factory blew up. I was in grade school and when it went it sounded like bombs exploding. Of course no one at the time knew what it was so panic ensued. I was in school and I remember sitting in the hallway crouched over with my hands over my head, like that would stop concrete from crushing me but hey, that's what we did. As it turns out it, it was nothing and my parents tried to brush it off. When my grandfather died when I was 12 they sort of brushed that off too. At some point though, you can't brush off life's issues. You have to deal with them and face them head on.

I know that old saying that things only make you stronger. Dealing with death, illness, job loss, failed relationships....it all serves a purpose in our lives. We have to deal with these things as adults...but sometimes I'd like to live the life of a protected child and look for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow instead.

No comments: