Friday, January 8, 2010

Redo or undo?

Last year I had a less than stellar New Year's celebration so I decided to do a "re-do" at the end of January and act as if January never existed. So in reality, my year was only 11 months and not 12. I was OK with it, I embraced it, I thought it was a brilliant idea!

This year I was ill prepared for a New Year's celebration for lots of reasons but mostly my heart just wasn't in it, I couldn't get invested in a new year celebration....I just wanted the year to be done, over, finished and I wanted to move on to the new decade with hope and joy in my heart. Well I just wanted the year to be done...how's that?

In recent conversations with friends many have expressed how much they have been disappointed with their new year thus far and I have been recommending the New Year's re-do to them pointing out that it really worked out well for me, well in the beginning of the year anyway it did.

Yesterday I had a hard day, a day of things constantly reminding me of all the things I don't have, of a life I get to watch others live, of people I don't get to be with and it made me feel like I am missing out on something bigger than me. So after an entire day of that, I had ha hard time trying to go to sleep. As I was trying to sleep I thought about the whole "re-do" thing.

Re-do or Do-over or Un-do? Which is better? Which accomplishes what we need it to? Is there a difference? I mean they are sort of designed to let us erase and start down a path again as if the first time didn't even matter....right? Is denial such a bad thing?

The Universe had this waiting for me this morning:

Now, I have to admit that among inventions, the "Undo" button is right up there with the very greatest of all time, but it'll never compare to the "Do" button, from which worlds are born. This is your chance!
2010, Baby -
The Universe

Plus while some things can't be undone, you can ALWAYS start anew.

Ahh, starting anew. I like that thought. It's not that we want to do the same thing over and over, we want something better, something NEW and wonderful. So maybe it shouldn't be Happy New Year's maybe it should be Happy ANEW Year's!

No comments: