Tuesday, January 12, 2010

When in Rome

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what I miss. I miss people, places and moments in time. I miss things mostly I think that I can't control. Is that true? Do we miss what we can't control?
Can we control anything really?

I have been fighting to keep people in my life once things change. When life shifts it's course I fight to keep people in my life. I call, I text, I set up outings....I make all the effort towards keeping them in my life and if I stop.....they disappear and fade away. It makes me sad because I feel like I need them in my life, I need parts of what they offer to my life and unless I am making the concerted effort to keep them thinking about me and talking to me and seeing me what we have will fade away. It can be exhausting.

At what point do we stop trying so hard to keep people connected to us? At what point to we sit back and let the course of the Universe walk it's course?

When in Rome......do as the Romans do. In theory it's great...do as others do...but in reality, what does it get you? It seems the harder you fight to keep something the same or in your life the faster it changes and pulls away from you. Is it possible we can want what we really don't get to have?

I wonder if I stopped my daily connection with certain people would it end? Would it stop? Would things just continue to go forward but in a new and different way? Do we trust that we are where we are at and keep moving or do we continue to try to keep those things in our life that we fight so hard for?

When do we decide that things aren't worth fighting for?

No comments: