Thursday, May 7, 2009

Time worries

I had dinner with a friend last night and we talked about me being done with school in 7 weeks. 7 weeks! It's been so long since I've had no other commitment outside of just work that I don't know, I really don't know what I am going to do with myself. We joked about it and then when I went home and started really thinking about it I sort of had a panic attack. What am I going to do? What will I focus on? What do people do in everyday lives with nothing but work to focus on?

Will I lay on the couch more, become home bound, shop more, finally read that pile of books I've been collecting, work more at the ET? I'm worried I will let days, weeks even months flow by with no plan, no purpose, no meaning.

The Universe usually pipes in with something that gives me hope or direction - today it says:

Here's a hint on figuring out the next step to take on the path of your wildest dreams...it almost never lies behind the doors marked, "WOW," "SEXY," or "GLAMOROUS."
Mwah,
The Universe

The tag line is:
Not that you won't make it look wow, sexy, glamorous. You always could wear anything.

Oddly, it does make me feel a little better but still, how do you decide what to do with your own time? It seems like a day whips by without much thought at all because you get up, you go to work and there is chaos and stuff all day to fill it then you have school or some other commitment and then when you finally go home, you try to unwind so you can come back and do it all again. In between all of that we try to create some sort of life for ourselves. We build relationships, friendships or just have some sort of human connection. What do you do when there are no other barriers to that kind of everyday stuff? What do you do?

How do we begin to re-create our lives or ourselves? There is so much I don't know yet. I want to live a life of value, of importance. I want to wake up in the morning and know it's important that I get up and get going, I don't want to just punch a time card, I need to know that what I do, what I contribute, what I add to the world matters...it makes a difference. I don't think that is going to happen in the next 7 weeks.

It's hard when you have time to think, it's like my brain is a gerbil on a wheel. How do I get it to slow down and see what's going on all around?

Time....is it really on our side?

No comments: