Friday, May 1, 2009

Plan B

It's always good to have a back up plan. To know what to do when things don't work out. I almost never do. Is that wrong? I'm not sure. Do we have to always plan for things to go awry? If we have a Plan B doesn't it assume there was a Plan A to start with?

Cheryl Richardson has a website with these Grace Cards. You can ponder a thought and then pick a flashing star and then get a card, along the same lines as animal cards or fairy cards. Yesterday I was feeling like I needed one and the card was something about letting go of your expectations for the outcome and just accept what comes. Once you stop expecting something to happen, the right thing will happen.

Stop expecting. Interesting. We grow up taught to expect things. At Christmas, at Easter, our birthday. We expect to be treated equally, respectfully and we in turn do that. I find too that by expecting I am often disappointed. I have build things up so big in my head that things don't ever seem to get to the level I have created and I often end up ....... sad. It's clearly my own fault. I have had some exceptions....but if I think about them....they really weren't expected. My God, maybe there is something to that...but how do you reteach yourself to not expect.

I'll use my birthday party as an example. I expected to have fun, to have a good time, to enjoy myself. I was nervous and worried that no one, or only a few would show up and I was stunned to see the turn out....but I didn't know what to expect so it just happened. But then I think of another event where I expected a certain outcome and when it didn't occur like I imagined I was left disappointed. So I think I just answered my own question...stop expecting. I don't know if I can do that.

I am going to go to Cheryl Richardson's site right now and do a grace card....hold on.

The card I drew is "Anticipation" - now I pondered that for a moment to see how it matched my question. Here is what it says: "Expect the best. The world is working in your favor".

Isn't that interesting...I got a card about expecting.....I am even more confused now. Do I expect or not expect?

No comments: