Monday, June 22, 2009

Learning to ride without training wheels

Now that school is behind me there are no more excuses for not doing things. I can no longer put everything on the back burner until that magical "someday"...that day is now.

How do you learn to ride without training wheels? You usually have a trusted adult guiding you, holding you up until you are ready to try it on your own. You gear up for it, you prepare yourself for it and yet nothing prepares you for the moment you scream "let me go" and suddenly your flying free and unobstructed by those extra set of wheels you knew would keep you from crashing to the ground and surely suffering your untimely death. Suddenly you have this magical feeling that you are free, that nothing can stop you now and that feeling when you finally look down and realize you are indeed on two wheels is a magical moment. You may stumble a time or two and get banged up and bruised but you keep on going until you are there. You've done it...you've taken that big step towards freedom.

That's what if feels like for me right now. I'm at at the oh God, it's time for me to learn to ride without my training wheels (school being the wheels). It's time for me to pedal on my own and discover my own path, my own freedom. All alone, all by myself, steady and strong hands gripped tight as I venture out onto a new path. Where I'll go or end up doesn't really matter, all that matters is that I am ready to let go of those training wheels and venture out onto two wheels.

Isn't it funny how easy things seem if we just think about them at the core of their being. It's pretty simple once you break it down to the basics. School was a huge commitment not only financially but time and mentally it absorbed a lot of time. It's a big commitment if you really want to get something out of it vs. just going through the motions of writing a paper, reading a chapter and answering some questions. I scoffed at my boss who said it changes the way a person thinks...and if you let it, if you let it in, absorb it, use it, make it fit into your world, it does....it changes how you process and think about things.

I hate it when I'm wrong.

1 comment:

Schnoodler said...

You're like some kind of a genius now. It makes me feel insignificant and small.