Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Speed bumps

I realize speed bumps are suppose to help us...to slow us down, to keep us from whipping by without seeing. They even paint them a bright color so we can see them and hopefully slow down enough to not rip off the underbelly of our car as we speed over them. Sometimes that doesn't happen though. Sometimes we get so caught up in our own world that we just forge ahead and end up racing over them only to realize it as we hear that terrible sound.

Life is a lot like that...it takes something big and in our face to make us stop and realize what's happening. If I think about it, sometimes the everyday mundane things I do that seem huge or annoying or problematic at the time are really just speed bumps....things that happen to try to get me to slow down and to realize what's going on.

I have a very good friend that is dealing with a critically ill parent. She is basically waiting for her to die and without warning, without any notice this came out of the blue and now she has to stop everything and deal with this. It's got to be one of the hardest things to do...I went through it with my grandmother and almost with my mother so I get the stress, the decisions that have to be made, the absolute energy sucking that takes it's toll on your soul. I wish I could do something, I wish I could wrap my arms around her and tell it was going to be alright, that even though it's really really icky right now.....you will get through this and your mom will be in a better place. But you can't see that or hear that when your in the middle of it. I just wish peace for her and her mom. Speed bump.

I've had a good year thus far. It's now the beginning of the 6th month and I have to say, this is one of my better years. I've made a lot of new choices, cultivated new friendships that I can't imagine ever living without. I've explored some uncharted waters, pushed myself to do things outside my comfort zone, took my New New Years rule of NO RULES to heart and I am finally finishing school. It's a lot of stuff going on right now and I feel really good about where it's heading but I'm also wondering what's next? What does the Universe have in store for me?

I don't want a list, but I do wonder, where exactly am I going to go from here. Shouldn't I have a clue? Shouldn't I formulate a plan of action? You know that old saying....even if you're on the right track you'll get run over if you just sit there....am I just sitting here? How do you begin to plan for the unknown?

The Universe had this for me today:
How could I ever hope that you might love as I love, give as I give, fly as I fly, and feel as I feel, without ALL that I have that makes these things so easy for me? I want you to feel complete. I want your heart to overflow with joy. I want you to soar, far and wide, to wherever your dreams may lead you. And, I want you to be rich.
I am,
The Universe


These thoughts or messages from the Universe provide me with a sense of contentment, with a calming effect on my soul knowing that something bigger than myself is out there directing me. It gives me peace.

Now if it could just cook dinner for me we'd be set!

No comments: