Monday, July 27, 2009

Being Bored

Is there a difference between being bored having nothing to do? Are they really the same thing? Sometimes we find ourselves with nothing to do but does that mean we are bored?

As I laid by the pool yesterday, really enjoying myself like a lizard on a beach, I thought about this. Often when we have nothing to do we claim to be "bored". I think it's hard for most people (it can't just be me...right?) to learn how to stop and experience life without the distraction of a never-ending to-do list. Most of my days have been focused on feeling overwhelmed and yet at the same time, scared and uncomfortable with downtime.

If you ask people about their about their own ability to slow down and do nothing, you start to realize it's not easy for most people to do this. To stop and be still. The minute they have extra time on their hands, they feel bored and thus uncomfortable and immediately they search for something to do to fill the time. Anything. At least that's how I have been feeling.

The problem is that no matter what I seem to do, I can't seem to stop that feeling from coming back again and again. In this adrenaline-fueled society, learning to do nothing is really a difficult thing to do. I imagine just like anything else, with practice, hopefully one can discover that feelings of boredom can easily be changed into a sense of peace and serenity - at least that's what I am guessing can happen if you learn to channel it differently.

How does one master the art of being bored? How do you get to that place where you can push through to the other sided and enjoy peace of mind, something I think we all long for. I imagine to do this one has to create space in their own lives. To open up their schedules, figure out ways to let go of things that don't really matter. How do you learn to shut off your drive and the relentless pursuit of the elusive goal of being OK with being alone? How do you get to that authentic place?

I think that learning to be bored is much like learning to meditate. You need to hang on through a period of restlessness before you can experience the benefits. Once you get used to it, you not only learn to relax but you get to that point where you can learn to see past the here and now. You learn to enjoy your own company. Possibly you even figure out how to be less impulsive so you can make better decisions.

Obviously this doesn't happen overnight and there is no pill to take but as we learn to be OK with being "bored" it will get easier and feel more natural. I imagine the feelings that everyone else is getting ahead or that we are missing out on something bigger and better will evaporate as well.

These typical fear-based thoughts will always try to come to the surface and try to make you "do something". The plan is to learn to make space in your life, to be good at being bored, only then will be be able to connect with our own true authentic self.

Once you get good at being bored and are able to maintain a reserve of space in your own life, the Universe will draw people to you, opportunities will come and soon you won't even remember how you lived life before you accepted and embraced the bored part of life.

Give boredom a try, start making space in your life and see what happens. I know I am going to try it, sure can't hurt.

No comments: