Thursday, July 23, 2009

These times are tough

I did a job fair yesterday, well I staffed a booth there and it was really rather a sad place to be. You would think it wouldn't be so depressing but to hear story after story from people about how they never saw their layoff coming is really very sad. Some folks were very bitter either because that's how they are normally or because it's still rather fresh. I am not blaming them, it would be HORRIBLE to be in that position. Some have families and you can could just see by the looks on their faces the level of desperation. They weren't all bad however, there was the select few, the chosen ones who you could tell never really plan to be employed ever again. They are just going to sit back and take unemployment as long as they possibly can and they seemed absolutely OK with that. That was a little sad to me as well.

I know we shouldn't wrap our identity up in our jobs or in our work but when you are out of a job, when you are fighting against the odds to support your family I imagine it's almost impossible to NOT do that. I forget that on a daily basis. I forget how lucky I am that I have a job that is, as far as I can tell, secure. I have had some scares but overall I think I am not going anywhere....at least at this point.

The look in these people's eyes stays with me...they were/are so desperate, sad, hopeful. There were some people I talked to that I would give a job to in a minute, others not so much. I believe attitude is everything and I know it's got to be exhausting and frustrating looking for a job but some of these people didn't even put any effort into their appearance. They totally were like eh.....take me or leave me. It's funny, I know we all have days like that but if you are trying to edge yourself ahead of the herd, try a little.

We are always under construction. If we aren't trying to add or hone our current skills then we are adjusting and figuring out new ones. It's almost like we should be covered in orange cones all the time. How we change and what we decide to do is always up to us. We can choose that glass to be half full or half empty. Some days it feels like there is a tiny pin hole leak in it but overall, we get to decide it.

I'm trying to read the book right now The Last Lecture. It's challenging because it's written by a Randy Pausch, who has now since passed, but it was written when he full well knew he was dying. His time was short and he had accepted it, I mean what else can one do? It's hard because I'm trying to read it at work and it's rather emotional. I keep comparing what he is saying to what I am feeling in my own life and it seems so insignificant. I think how petty the things I am worried about, things that keep me up at night, all that I want to do and be and here is a man facing his very very short life. It's hard to not feel a little guilty about my own life.

My favorite quote in the book so far is "If you wait long enough, people will surprise and impress you". He says that when you are frustrated or upset with people it just may be because you haven't given them enough time. It takes great patience.....just keep waiting, it will come. Just wait for it!!!

No comments: