Friday, July 31, 2009

Everything is going to be alright

I love that saying....Everything is alright in the end, if it's not alright, it's not the end.

It's never too late in life to revise, to restart to begin again. I got a book for my birthday called Do-Over. A 48 year old father of three returns to kindergarden, summer camp, the prom and other moments in time that usually define who we are or who we become.

He begins by talking about when kids shout "do-over" and just like magic they get to begin again. Just like crossing your fingers you didn't mean it, it didn't go well and you need a re-do. I love this story my sister tells of time she spent with my 6 year old nephew. They were at the zoo and she said to him that we will ride some rides on the way out...he asked her if she promised and she said yes, I promise. So they enjoyed the zoo and as she promised they stopped on the way out to ride some rides. His eyes lit up when he saw the games as well and she said you have a choice, we can either ride rides or play games. He thought about it and chose the games. After they played their money's worth of games my nephew said "um, I meant I wanted to ride rides". Do-over. Can it really be that easy?

I embraced this thought early on in this year when my New Years celebration left me a little disappointed. I declared a New Years re-do and thankfully I have some amazing friends who joined in the re-do with me and it was much better. Why don't we all have a re-do button on our own lives? Why does it have to change when we become adults? Does it have to change? Who makes those rules?

The author of this book talks about reevaluating what you think you've left bedind as a way to find out who you are now and thus put into things into perspective. Who we are now is a result of all we have been through, our life experiences, the mistakes we've made, the great moments we've enjoiyed. The secret is not to let those control us, to define us now or to stop us. How do we move, learn and grow from all that?

He suggests creating a do-over list, a list of things you want to re-do or possibly even do for the first time. I have kind of done this but clearly I need to read more of this book to discover how to not only do this but how to execute the re-do portion of this process.

If it were that easy I'm sure we would all do this every day....right? I know I would. There is so much about my younger self I would like to re-do. Like my first boyfriend.....I wish I would have understood way back then that someone who likes to swallow lighter fluid and then breath fire at your sisters is not as impressive as it seemed at the time. Or to make better fashion choices earlier on so I don't cringe looking at those pictures of myself...jesh...who really thought super furry socks were the IN look? Yesh.

I guess it's time to listen to your heart, to look inside and see what it is that makes you tick and if you aren't finding it then get that list going and start checking things off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill still spits fire.....and he was sorta my first love..what does that say about me????