Thursday, July 2, 2009

Lessons from the movies

I realize there are lessons in everyday situations but when you go to a kids movie with a bunch of kids and watch a movie, it's a different experience.

I've been on vacation the last week...a "staycation". I didn't go anywhere but did spend some days doing some retail therapy and totallying enjoying the fact that I have no homework, no outside commitments...nothing happening.

I spent last Tuesday with some friends.....not at school and not avoiding homework......but chillaxing over some cocktails....nice. I can easily get used to this life.

Today I have my 6 year old nephew and we went to go see the new Ice Age movie. It gave me great joy that he shushed these talkers as the movie started...so proud. The movie is great and it has a message for the adults as well but enough action and silly stuff that kids enjoy it too. Those writers are good...plus it was in 3D so it was really fun.

The movie made me a little sad, the one dude Diago (the lion) was dealing with aging and another with being alone as his friends moved on in life with family and different priorities and I hate to admit it but it made me a little sad. Not because it's what I want but that a cartoon could evoke those kind of emotions from me.

My nephew was so cute....he'd seen the movie once so when there was a potential "scary" part (it did have dinosaurs in it) he'd snuggle in with me and make me put my arm around him. How quickly they grow out of that stage and moment. He was sweet and kind and now...he's turned into some kind of unrecognizable demon...he's literally jumping around and his new big thing is he likes to hit. He just randomly walks up and hits you.....no reason...just hits....it's not attractive.

Don't know how parents do this....how they get through this part of the night where the kids sort of unwind before bed. It's kinda exhausting.

It amazes me how much money people spend as a family at a movie....our movie was $21 for our tickets......$21!!!!! There were several groups of families there....add to that the movie snacks they purchase and my God.....that's outrageous. Crazy.

Well here's hoping we get through this night and tomorrow without incident.

No comments: