Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lessons from LOST

I love the TV show LOST. I have watched it faithfully from day one and I love the idea that we just don't know what is going on or what is going to happen next. It constantly surprises me. Writers are freaking amazing people. The stuff that comes out of their heads...makes me really jealous. As I was watching the 1 hour recap of the first four years before the awesome season premiere I was taken back at how much LOST is kinda like real life in a way.

I mean these people are stuck on this island forced to keep living a life they tried to get away from. I never really got that before until the preview show. One character was an murder (assassin) in his real life and on the island, he tries to fight who he is, but he turns back into that person. It's almost like that is all he knows, that is who he is. Isn't that what we are doing in our everyday life...we try to fight what we are but eventually we give into who we really are? We wander around looking for our path only to find out one day that maybe we were on it the whole time and once we stop fighting it we find out....wait...this is where I am suppose to be. This is who I am suppose to be.

Weird...are we all "lost"? Maybe those writers are so much smarter than I am even giving them credit for...I think there needs to be a taller pedestal for me to prop them up on.

I was talking to my friend Eric yesterday about life and what a person really wants out of it and we had this discussion regarding the difference between being alone and being single. It's funny how differently people interpret those words. I think too that men and women interpret them differently too. I guess I'm not sure which I want or don't want if I really think about them.

Being single seems to have such a negative stigma attached to it...makes me feel like if your single you belong on the island of misfit toys....no one wants you....it's not a choice, it's lonely and horrible and maybe you should go live on an island. The reality is though it's not...and mostly it is a choice people make - at least it's a choice I am making. Being alone...that's different. That makes me think I have to get a lot of cats and hope I don't die so they end up chewing off my arm before anyone finds me after I've been dead for a week. Irrational? Probably.

Hmm....look what I am learning in this new year. Everything isn't always as it appears. Well that I knew....I'm pretty good with a makeup brush and clothes...but take all that away and I think anyone would be surprised at what lies there...but that's another issue. :)

My message from the Universe today was this:

When in doubt show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give
thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up.
Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if
your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.

When in doubt....kinds feel like that is where I spent alot of time.....in the old doubt river. I like the think less feel more part. That really ties in with my new years plan.....think less feel more. Maybe I should make a t-shirt!

Being single or being alone...being alone is something I have always railed against. I don't like living alone, eating alone, sleeping alone.....being alone......and I don't know that I will ever like it. I know I've grown used to it and accepted it but it doesn't mean I have to like it. We don't have to like what we don't like...right? I know not a lot of people get this but - I like having someone else around, not necessarily by my side but around, in my space, in my life....someone I know is always there no matter what.....but I want them to be there by choice...to want to be there...not because they have to or feel like that have to. Make sense?

Wow, look all that I got out of watching the TV? Maybe my friend Dan is onto something? He is a TV God!

1 comment:

mindy said...

I learn alot from my favorite shoe NCIS_ I can kill people so other people will never catch me....what does that say about my life lessons????