Saturday, January 10, 2009

See with new eyes

It's fuuny how we decide who someone is based on our interactions with them and then you spend more time with them outside of work or the normal place you are with them and you see them so differently. Last night I was running errands in preparation for this busy weekend at at the Menards of all places I bumped into this guy I used to work with a long time ago and at first I was like oh crap...but then we started talking and "catching" up and he's actually pretty cool.

He lives in Seattle now and is married with 3 kids....this surprised me because he was such a crabby, mean, spiteful person and he went out of his way to do things to piss people off....my first thought was how did the Universe reward someone so icky with something that is the goal for most people? Judging....why do we always judge.

Turns out after he left he took a year off and spent it traveling, seeing the world and not being tied down by things, a job or people and he said it was like a switch flipped off inside of him and he settled down in Seattle and met his now wife. I was blown away by that story. Seemed so simple, so easy....can things really be that easy? Is it really about letting go?

It's easy to decide who someone is by our interactions with them but sometimes, if you get past that initial layer you can find out so much more about them. They begin to let you in, they accept you as you are and they embrace your crazy and find ways to make it work with theirs. Those are the people you need to hang with, surround yourself with. My friend told me her friend made this comment "everyone's got some carry on luggage". Makes me smile.

I forget how many walls we ... okay probably just me....so lets just say I realize I have walls up. I realize I am my own worst enemy and it's hard to just let it all go and accept what your given, frankly I don't even know if I know how to do that. I guess you have to take baby steps and maybe just take down a brick at a time....find those people who will help you without juding and who accept you as you are without trying to change you and make you build new walls.

Wow...so much to learn in this new year!

I love these cold crip mornings. Sitting here at my computer staring out into the still morning with the smoke from roof tops covering the air, the ground is barely covered with a white blanket and the bare trees...love the bare trees! At this very minute everything seems possible, everything seems fresh and new and that it's an option. Wish we could capture that moment and carry it with us through the day.

Off to a busy weekend.....meeting, painting, moving, cleaning, homework and I'm planning on shaking my bootie tonight as well.

Welcome 2009!

No comments: