Friday, January 9, 2009

Lipstick fixes anything

Sometimes slapping on a coat of lipstick on can make the worst day even better. I've been sleeping like crap lately and thus it reflects in how I look and feel. Yesterday was the height of my sleeplessness and I felt pretty worn out by about 9am. I slapped on some lipstick and suddenly things seemed right.

Maybe I'm imagining it but I think people treat you differently when you wear lipstick. It seems to say I know what I am doing and you must listen to me....I wish it said I am the queen and you must do my bidding but I'll settle for people listening to me. Having said that, I admit, I am not the best listener. I've been working hard at changing that and I really admire people that do listen and not only listen, but hear you. Sometimes out of the blue they will quote back something you've said and honestly I vaguely remember even saying it but it floods back into my memory and I'm amazed that they retained that information. Because I've been so sleep deprived I've been filling my mornings with coffee (I don't drink caffeine past noon) and yesterday afternoon I had to go for a walk to shake off the busy day (I am a PowerPoint goddess!) and I went to the Caribou where my favorite employee is. He is super perky, always remembers what you like to drink and is just super pleasant to spend some time with....if he were only straight I'd take him home and keep him forever. So I drag my sorry butt into the Caribou and he greets me and shouts out my order before I even have to say what it is I want. He also remembers to make it decaf.....he freaking remembered! I remarked on it and he said "Girl I know you can't do caffeine past noon....I'm here for you." I almost cried. It's the little things isn't it, that bring us unexpected joy.

As I enjoyed my delicious beverage I began to think about how cool that was that he took the time to remember something about me, a complete stranger and then I started to think about all the people I have in my life that I've experienced those little moments with......like my distaste for dark beer, my hatred of green beans, Jell-O and other flesh like foods.......people remember things. How can I be a better rememberer? Is that even a word?

Sometimes I have moments where I remember conversations or incidents and I think Oh I have to remember that and almost as soon as I say it....I've lost it. I realize it's a skill I can improve on but I really admire that in another person. I think that level of connection with another person is essential.

Right now work is at warp speed, we have a major meeting next week and at the end of this month that we are really behind the 8 ball on and we are working like mad to get ready for so I feel good about the fact that I am so busy I can't see straight but worried about the lull after this rush is over. Where's my lipstick?

So....until things settle down I plan to carry a lot of lipstick. Isn't this funny that all this came about from a fresh coat of lipstick?

Got lipstick?

No comments: