Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Crabby Office Lady

I know work causes stress. I know typically Monday's are a high stress day because people for some reason seem to be exceptionally irrational on a Monday but when it rains, does it really need to pour? And does a Monday need to ooze over into a Tuesday?

Yesterday was the type of a day that made me reassess why I get up early and drag my butt into work...into the thankless, crap dumping job that I do. If I hear one more time "I have an opportunity for you" I am literally going to scream. I can't take on any more new opportunities unless someone decides to take something away! There is only so much time in one day and only so much patience one person can have. I realize my job is to assist...to help....to guide....to boldy go where no one apparently wants to go but for the love of all that's good and pure, can't anyone do one simple thing for themselves? Seriously....it's not difficult to send out a calendar invite to 3 people...am I really that skilled and you really that pathetically unskilled that you can't do that? Really??

Where's the value? What value do I add daily by doing the mundane, mindless, pointless tasks? I can't be connected or committed to a job if I don't feel I am adding value, a purpose...that this couldn't possibly be done without me. Can anyone work at a job and not have that? I need it. If I don't have that at work or in my own personal life then what is the point of any of it? I need value!

How do you make other people see that? At one point yesterday I hit the proverbial wall and shouted out loud "I would rather serve coffee than do this job for one more minute!" Someone then ordered a latte which made me feel better. I get it, I do realize that is not the most professional thing to do but good lord, I can't stand doing the crap that no one else wants to do. And for the love of God...why do I print off people calendars, handouts and prepare them for the day if they are going to stop by my desk or call me and ask "Where is my meeting at?" Seriously.....did I not print out your calendar? Do you not have your own calendar open on your computer and for the love of God...why do you have a blackberry? Is it a full moon? Did someone slip me a crazy pill that no one else has taken? Good lord, Corporate America makes me insane!

And it's not just Corporate America....why do some people think they can say anything, be completely disrespectful and when they find out they are wrong, they don't even apologize. Why is that kind of behavior accepted and sometimes rewarded. What is wrong with work environments? Are they so desperate for lackeys they keep everyone?

Someone tell me again why I am getting a business degree?

Oh and this from the Universe today -
Tell me do folks really think they can become lost, end up
lonely, or fail, when all they have to do to change absolutely everything is help another?


Your G.P.S. of love,
The Universe


So last night I have dinner with a friend. He's 25...yes 25, and he thinks his life goal is to be a writer mainly because he thinks he will make millions doing it and he's exceptionally gifted at it. How do you gently tell someone life isn't a book...that you don't just wake up and say I am going to be a film writer and director and make millions when they don't do anything to actively test the waters? I tried...I tried to encourage him to do workshops, to go to classes but he just doesn't hear it. Somehow though, at the end of the night, I began to feel better about the mundaneness (is that even a word?) of my own life. Maybe the Universe is onto something after all.

Here's hoping this day doesn't follow yesterday's example.

1 comment:

Thumper0329 said...

I had a solution when I hit that wall in a former life. I wanted to bring a roll of toilet paper to the office, and rip off a square every time I had to do something akin to wiping someone's a**. I wanted to see how long the roll would last. Hang in there!