Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring - time to renew

A change in seasons always helps shake the dust off the old and lets one begin something new. I am very encouraged by the arrival of warmer weather. I declared myself over winter about a week ago and still haven't gone back to close toed shoes....no matter the weather.

I hear the birds out chirpping their happy little songs each morning, the sun seems to come up earlier and earlier and every once in awhile I can open my windows....it's so close. I find myself being a bit impatient waiting for it. I need it to be here now.

I know things change...and sometimes we don't even realize it until it's happened. I woke up exceptionally early AGAIN today and as I lay there pondering life I realize how subtle sometimes the changes are that sort of start a chain reaction to bigger things.

It's hard to know when to move forward, to pull back or to bury our heads in the sand and wait for things to settle down. Do we risk getting a broken heart by opening ourselves up to love? Do we worry about losing friends by speaking the truth? Is the fear of losing our jobs real? So many things that come to us everyday that can affect (or is it effect?) our own bigger picture.

One of my youngest sisters is getting ready to have a baby...her first and it's been awhile (a little over 6 years) since I've had a new baby to spoil. I have great nieces and nephews having babies but they aren't close enough for me to steal the baby for a night or a weekend. This baby will be within stealing distance....can't wait. Anyway, I laid there and thought about how much her life will change in the blink of an eye. Overnight her world will be transformed. It's not a bad thing, it just is.

I have some friends who have kids and they are on the edge of being young adults (the kids...not the parents) and these people have devoted their whole lives to making sure their kids are safe and secure and taken care of. They make great personal sacrifices and have pretty much put their own life, wants, desires on hold to foster these children into adulthood. I admire that so much and I am also really jealous of that at the same time. I've been teasing a friend of mine lately telling her to have a baby.....I joke about it with her but in the long run it's a HUGE responsibility and commitment. How do people do it? What made me think I could ever do that?

Although, part of me still really wouldn't say no to one.

Bring on the weekend....although it's going to be spent mostly doing homework.....4 weeks left until I can breath again....4 weeks.

No comments: