Monday, March 23, 2009

Rushing through

"We do less by the very quality of our being. We must be completely present for what we are doing, without sacrificing or rushing what's in front of us in order to get to 'more important' stuff later. No matter how mundane the activity, treat everything as important and take pleasure in it. At bottom, whatever we are doing right now is what we are engaged in and it deserves our full attention and appreciation."

I realize it's a long quote to wrap your brain around but it really spoke to me. Lately I have been feeling particularly frenzied - again and I know it's my own doing. I know I try to do to much in one day, moment and I end of wearing myself to the bone. Then I have days like I did on Saturday where I could barely get up off the couch. It was a completely wasted evening but I clearly needed the rest. I worked all day on Saturday and then was suppose to go out Saturday night but thankfully my partner in crime was as exhausted as I was so I could lay on the couch and just "be". It was nice but I also felt really guilty.

The quote above comes from a book called Less; Accomplishing More by Doing Less (it's on my birthday list!) and it reminded me how I keep forgetting to live in the moment. To treat everything as important and take pleasure in it. When I read this it made me stop and think about how I was operating in my own life. I feel like I am rushing through every moment and everything sort of feels like a blur.

How often am I engaged in a task while focused on another that needs to get done at the very same time? Between work (I am the queen of multi-tasking there), school (I probably could do better here) and my own life (it's kinda boring) I realize I am constantly looking to the next moment, event, section....thing to keep me going. It's kind of exhausting. I feel like I am always distracted with something....I am rushing through my own life and what for? What am I rushing to? Am I missing my own life by doing this or am I trying to create a life for myself by doing this?

I know I need to slow down, to breathe....to just be but it's really difficult to just do that. To go from warp speed to the slow lane. I keep saying when school is done I'll have more time...but I do recall saying that about things a year ago and still...here I am...with no time. There are so many things I want to do....want to spend my time doing and I feel like I don't have the time to do them.

How do you recapture your own time?

No comments: