Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What is harder to do?

What is harder the change you choose, or the change that's chosen for you?

This is probably an age old question but really change is change regardless of whether you are choosing to do it or if it's what life has chosen for you. I like to think I embrace change but really, can anyone really be happy and accepting of it? It really kind of sucks either way it happens.

I remember distinctly the first time I realized that change can happen without your consent, it was in my first car accident. A young man (when I say young man, I really mean a child...he was only 16) tried to cut over two lanes very quickly and he caught my back end and spun me round and I ended up going up the embankment sort of sideways. My car was totaled but I survived unscathed- My poor sad dead little car Leo died that day.

It was not my choice to get a new car - it was not my choice to put my life on hold and deal with all the crap that goes with settling an insurance claim, looking for and financing a car and all within a very short time because life can only be put on hold for so long before it begins to back up and cause even more trouble. That choice was taken away from me and I remember being so angry because I didn't get to CHOOSE to do it. It was done without my permission or consent. Not that I would have chose to participate in a car accident...but you get the point.

If we choose to change though, is it really any easier? I am still going to go with no. Change is hard. Our bodies some how know we are trying to change and it seems to fight back in ways you just don't even expect it to. Like when I choose to eat a high protein breakfast bar my body reacts as if I fed it scrap metal and I hurt and suffer for hours as my body tries to break down the high protein bar....if I had eaten a bagel slathered with cream cheese I think it would have accepted it just fine. No matter if we choose it or not, it's going to be a hard road.

Change is part of life, it happens every day. I like to think as I've gotten older, I've gotten better at welcoming it, encouraging it to come into my life and yes, sometimes it does make things better. I think in the long run change has gotten attached negatively because usually when things change, it's not always for the better in the beginning. You have to work at it, continue to fine tune and adjust. Maybe that's the pieces we miss...the adjusting and fine tuning.

Change can be good....right?

2 comments:

Schnoodler said...

I told you before that I thought your writing had improved greatly. I'm going to tell you again that I think somewhere in the last month your writing made another giant leap forward. I'm proud of you. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Remember: Everything happens for a reason.

And that's probably a high Fiber bar (not just protein). Gotta be careful with those!