Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hurry up and do what?

It seems like these days everyone is in a hurry. Everyone is racing to get from place to place except of course when I am in the Cub trying to navigate around people.

I find it easy to put my time in segments of time. I focus on little blocks of time, a few hours, a day...sometimes two days but I find that I get less stressed and frantic if I look at my time and my "to do's" in small blocks rather than looking at the big picture. Is that good? Is that right? I don't know, I just know it keeps me less frantic.

On my commute into work I have to drive down 35W, the speed limit there is 55mph but I seem to be the ONLY person that drives at that speed, well there are the handful of others that drive BELOW that but mostly people drive like freaking mad men. Where do they need to be so fast at 6 or 6:15am....seriously? I leave early to avoid massive traffic and each day I am surprised at the speed people are driving that early in the morning. Do they really need to get to work that badly? I sure don't.

We are in such a hurry. We rush to grow up, to move out, to get a job...to be an "adult" to get married, have kids...then what? One day we wake up and look over our life and think where did it all go...we rush and rush and we forget about the here and the now...the current, the present. We always seem to have our eye on some future prize that I think we forget to enjoy and live our lives. I am guilty of that. I have 10 weeks of school left..I keep focusing on that...10 weeks but I wonder what I am missing now.

I guess there is something about stopping to smell the roses.

No comments: