Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ready, set....grow

It's funny we don't realize how much we have changed, grown, become someone else until we actually do it. Recently I was talking with my boss about wanting a new job, one that is challenging, one that offers me a reason to get up in the morning...something that makes me feel like I am contributing to the greater good...the bigger picture and he said to me people don't just get a job like that....they often are doing that job and then somewhere along the line that job becomes theirs. He said you do the job before you have the job. I thought about that and realized there is some truth to it on many levels. We don't know we are growing, we just realize one day we have grown.

It's like me being in school...I didn't know how much I didn't know. Looking back, I can appreciate and grasp how much I've learned, how much I've grown and yet how far I still need to go. I feel that way about my life here at work too. I just ran into an very old co-worker, someone I haven't seen in about 15 years. We used to work really closely together and he left the company to pursue his career....he's been job hopping every few years and still doesn't seem to be someplace he wants. I on the other hand have been here for 23 years (would have been 24 if I didn't have that one year out in the real world) and I'm fairly content....fairly....and yet I didn't even see that happen.

Funny things happen when you stop looking.

No comments: