Friday, April 17, 2009

What are your talents?

At work we have had to do "talent reviews". The idea is to sit down with your boss and fill out this outrageous form to discover your "sweet spot". What are your career interests and aspirations? You fill out this sheet that is suppose to help "guide" you on your ideal career path.

I find it rather frustrating. You start out by deciding on a scale of low, medium or high how you feel about these three areas: Aspiration (how much you want to grow and advance), Engagement (how connected you are to the company's vision, values and mission) and lastly your Ability (how competent you are).

The idea is you choose your level of contentment and then fill out the rest of the form based on increasing your contentment in each of these levels until you achieve your "sweet spot". I think then you have reached the nirvana stage and you can then die happy knowing you contributed to the greater good...right? Does anyone ever get there? Do you even want to? I know we all need goals to work towards but honestly...I don't get it. I feel like I'm being put in this box...this is who you are...this is where you need to get to...if you don't...your a failure.

I also find it hard to be honest on this form. I had this conversation with my boss...it's the same conversation we keep having...I need more of a challenge, I need to feel like I am contributing to the bigger picture. I want to challenge myself, to grow my skills, to learn new things. He's on board with it for the time we are having the conversation but when it comes down to the execution of things I get pushed to the corner...again.

I want to insert an obscure movie reference from Dirty Dancing...."nobody puts baby in the corner". I probably quoted it wrong, I almost always do (Annie, the doctor will see you now!) but the point is...I don't want to sit in the corner, I want to be out amongst the people. How do you make them let you do that at work?

Do you really have to sit in the corner? Doesn't anyone want me to dance!?

No comments: