Monday, April 13, 2009

Learning to trust

Trust...are we born just trusting people? As a small child you have to trust the adults in your life not to drop you, to feed you, to not forget to pick you up at the end of the day but as adults it's a little harder. You get jaded by life, by experiences, by feelings and you end up with trust issues.

How do you learn to trust yourself? Your own voice, when do you know it's strong enough to speak on it's own?

I want to trust myself, I really do. There are somethings I trust without question....there are other things I really have to think about. Do I trust myself to say yes? To do the things I really want to do without worry, without judgement?

Lately it seems like I am pushing my own trust boundaries. Am I growing or just learning to listen to my own voice more? If I don't think too much about something I can jump in and do it without issue.....if I have too much time to think, to second guess, to play out all the ways something will go wrong in my head I stop, I don't trust even my own self. It's like trusting that someone else wants to see you naked. Do you really drop all the outerwear and just put it out there or do you keep hiding behind clothes? When is it time to trust that the naked you should come out?

Is trust and habits the same thing? Do we do something for so long that it becomes a habit but we misunderstand it as trust? Are trust, habits and our own instincts all melded together somehow? The mysteries of our brains are something. I started really thinking about the differences between instinct, intuition, trust and habits it's all kind of a muddled puddle.

Intuition can provide us seconds to make decisions, our instincts are what we seem to have been born with and rely on to keep us safe. Did we learn them from those we trust? As we grow in life our instincts develop and in turn, become part of our habits.

We are complicated people. We may never find the answers to this but I guess it comes down to learning to trust our instincts. By doing this hopefully it will lead to habits that may help guide and protect us all of our lives.

So is it time to be naked? I just don't know.

No comments: