Monday, December 29, 2008

Afraid to take risks?

I've never thought of myself as someone afraid to do things but as this year comes to a close I think back over the year and I'm a little disappointed in the things I stopped myself from doing because I was afraid or worried what others would think of me. Can a person be afraid of taking a risk? Am I afraid of taking a risk? What about others.....do they chance a different choice?

I know I talk a good game...I think I am braver than I really am. I think I'm ready to move to the next level and then I stop myself....I get scared or nervous or worried and I stop...I pull back and I don't do things. Don't we all do that? Do we sabotage ourselves and get in the way of our own path? Why do I do that? Who really cares? There are people I know who are so much braver than me, they don't seem to care what anyone else says they just live their life out loud with no excuses. I really want to live that way but there is something that always seems to stop me. Is it my upbringing? My fear of the unknown? My worry that the hype won't live up to what I've created in my mind? What sensors do I need to break down to live my life out loud?

I know there are times I've felt brave and bold in my life and I've pushed past the fear and done what I really wanted to do and I've had a great time....but it's like I need that push, that someone to take me by the hand and lead me there and then once I'm there I'm good but the actual getting there seems to be like a road block and I can't seem to get there on my own. Is risk taking a group event?

Isn't taking risks suppose to be about growing and pushing ourselves to the next level? If so then why is it so scary to push ourselves to the next level? What is it that we are really afraid of? Is it possible we are afraid of being happy? Of succeeding? Of living the life we really want? Why is risk such a negative thing?

Scared of taking a risk.....please.....I can take a risk..I've taken risks....heck....2009 is going to be a year of breaking down the walls and taking risks.

************************************************************************************
I found these two quotes as I was reading this morning....interesting isn't it.

Don't over think. Let passion override your fear.

Indulgence isn't a sign of failure, it's an occasional opportunity to experience pure pleasure.

Now I wonder.....is risk something we avoid because of fear or fear of pure pleasure? Do we deny ourselves that deeply? Things to ponder as this year winds down.







No comments: