Sunday, December 14, 2008

Comfortable

There is something to be said for our own comfort level. Comfortable shoes, pants, people, food even relationships....comfortable. Sometimes comfort can be misleading. It leads us to a false security that we become familiar with and grow to expect. It then becomes harder every time to find that same level of comfort. I want to be comfortable.

It's like you have the most comfortable pair of shoes. The fit perfectly and are like walking on clouds all day.....but they get ruined and now you expect to find another pair that is just as comfortable - you have this unrealistic expectation of comfort that you may never find again. Same with relationships...that's why we are draw to certain people.....that's why we stay connected with them because it feels comfortable, safe, easy....you know what to expect. What has to happen for us to realize that comfortable isn't always the way to stay? Do we have to break outside out own comfort level and try new things to be able to get rid of the old? Do we really have to get rid of the old or do we learn to deal with the way things change?

I've said it before.....it's hard being an adult. I'm sitting in the comfort of my house listening to the wind howl and thankful I'm home safe. The weather outside is frightful.....I was out haningm out with old friends today. These are people I don't get to see a lot but used to spend a lot of time with. As life moves on we've stayed connected but we definitely don't get to hang out as much as we like to but these are safe, warm, trusted comfortable friends who really know me. We have history, lots of history and it's so nice to be with people who just get you. I like that I don't have to define myself with them. I can just be me and they are fine with that....no judging, no explaining...just laughing,having fun, catching up and sharing life stories.

Then there are new friends you meet. Sometimes you meet someone and you immediately feel a level of comfort with them and there is an instant connection. I like them, I like spending time with them and I think they like spending time with me....it's a new comfort.

I wonder if the Universe has put them in your life to help with transitioning of old comforts to new comforts? Can one comfortable thing replace another?


1 comment:

TT. said...

Funny that this is your blog topic today. Yesterday I was planning to blog about how weird it is when a person suddenly becomes uncomfortable (or at least less comfortable) with relationships they've had for years. But then I got distracted and the day just slipped away.