Monday, December 1, 2008

Giving in or giving up

Sometimes a good cup of coffee can fix anything that's wrong in the world (mmm thanks Sarah!) and sometimes it can't.

Is there a difference between giving in and giving up? I know in order to move on you have to accept things and stop fighting but is that giving up or is that giving in? It seems that when it rains it pours....and lately it's felt that way for alot of my friends. Seems like things go wrong for them in bunches...not just one thing but several at one. God never gives us more than we can handle...or one door closes and another one opens but sometimes...it feels like too much. When do you decide to cut your losses and give up....or is it give in?

This morning I was listening to the radio and they were playing these requests from people asking for Christmas wishes...things like a new laptop, or to travel to see a sick or dying family member....one was to have enough money to buy a tree an presents for their kids. People all over seem to be in a state of distress.....is it always like this and the holidays just make us focus even more on what we don't have? Have they given up?

When do you decide enough is enough and stop hitting your head against a wall? Is that giving up or do you stop hitting your head and try something else...and that's giving in? Accept what the Universe gives you or do you fight it....challenge it...push it to give you something else.

I have found lately that I have been fighting an unknown force, something I have no power over, no control and absolutely NO way to change it so I decided I'm done...I gave up the fight...and I just accepted. I feel good about it...I feel less discombobulated and disconnected. I also remembered how much I like doing things for other people....little things they don't expect. Like bringing someone a cup of coffee, a book, of just a christmas decoration. Little things that bring unexpected joy to their day...well I like to think it does...it makes me feel better to think outside of myself.....and then this note from the Universe appeared today....

When you become detached mentally from yourself and concentrate on helping other people with their difficulties, you will be able to cope with your own more effectively. Somehow, the act of self-giving is a personal power-releasing factor.

Maybe that's the key, stop thinking about yourself so much, help another person and in turn, you actually end up helping yourself. Isn't the Universe a smart being?

24 days until Christmas!

No comments: