Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Living the "What if" life

Time is elusive. I had a conversation with a friend who said the older you get the faster time seems to go by because in relation to how much time you have left to live, time goes by faster. When you are young you have so much to look forward to and when you become my age (ugh!) you realize you are half way through or more than halfway through your life. Time, it is elusive.

I was talking to a co-worker today and I made the comment that I really wish I had a kid. I think if I did, I would do so many things different. I then talked about this great set of pictures I saw once that I'd wish I'd done. This guy had a son and bought a man's suit and every year on the kids birthday he took his picture in the suit until his son grew into it. Man that's cool. I wish I had done something really creative with my life. He looked at me and said, it's not over yet. Do something. It made me sort of stop and think. Why do we do that? Why do we stop ourselves from doing stuff? We put these preconceived restraints on ourselves and say we can't. It's too late, I'm too old, I'm too poor, I'm....something....I can't. People of all ages have done amazing creative cool things. What's their secret? How do you get the courage to live a "what if" kind of life?

I wonder if I did have a child if they would have the courage to live a life without conditions? Would I have been the kind of parent that gave them a rope to hang onto or a ladder to climb? I guess we will never know but I like to think I would have encouraged them to break the barriers, to be more than they think they can be and to never settle.....that's what I feel like I've done....settled for a life less ordinary, less complicated, plain...simple....boring.

That's what I worry about at night when I try to go to sleep...that I've become ordinary and boring. Isn't that the silliest thing to even spend time worrying about? Really, worst case scenario I'm average, plain....even boring....does that make any difference in what I put out into the world? Maybe it does...maybe if that's what I'm telling myself then that is what I am reaping. You reap what you sew.....am I creating a life for myself I really don't want?

As usual, the Universe always responds....see Kurt...if you listen it responds....today it said this:

Let's find a new adjective for you, Dawn...

How about upercoolhappylovething?

Yeah, a bit clumsy. How about imaculate?

Yeah, ahh, tricky. So, how about just adored!?

Yeah, not new.

Last idea,

Dawn...imaginary.

Oh, that's really good.

Phew,The Universe

So there it is….I need a new adjective to describe me….to give me focus and hope.

What adjective do you have and what would you change it to?

Does changing our adjective really change our life?

No comments: