Thursday, December 11, 2008

Creating the brand that is you

I am almost done with school...just barely 6 months and I'm getting scared. Scared that in 6 months from that I'll be doing the same thing wondering why I spent a crap load of money on an education I am not using so I thought I better start doing something about this now.

I expressed my concerns to a co-worker who gave me some good advice. She talked about creating a brand for yourself. Interesting - isn't that kind of like trying to figure out who you really are? Isn't that what we are all struggling to do? How is personal brand different? So I did some searching....here's what I've discovered.

Creating a personal brand is a way for each of us to distinguish ourselves in the marketplace of work. It all starts with this one question: What makes you unique? What do you offer to an employer or client that no one else can offer?

I means that we have to really think about ourselves in a very different way, we almost become a commodity. Brand holds power for companies it only holds true that it should hold power for us as well. I think it does. If I really think about it there are a few people I know that really have a personal brand. You just know exactly what they will say or do in any given situation. You can count on them and you know when they are involved, things get done.

Does that make them predictable? Oh no...if I create a personal brand will I be predictable, stagnate....boring? Why does this scare me? Is my freind Sarah right? Am I scared of succeeding? Oh my god, am I scared of succeeding?! That's crazy.....right?

Back to the whole personal branding thing....companies usually have a image around their brand. I need an image....I also think I need a theme song but I better work on my personal brand then image then song. The fact is that everyone of us are special in some way and we have unique skills, life experiences, and personal characteristics that define us and for the right employer, given the right situation, that combination adds up to a very special value. I thought I offered that now but if I did a survey I bet I'd be surprised to see the results. I want my personal brand to be one of hard work, dedication all while enjoying the ride. I want to be known as the person you want on your team because she will always get the job done but with flair, fun, and not in the usual way. Is that a brand? Is that possible?

The other advice my coworker gave me was even if you don't know what the next step is keep moving, just forge ahead because as you keep moving it will become clearer. It's the stopping or the standing still that gets you lost.

Your personal brand is what gives you value in the work place, it's not a job title. I guess it still comes down to the fact that you have to figure out who you are.

Who am I anyway?

4 comments:

mindy said...

Let us pick our theme songs for this year and live up to them!!!!!!

Schnoodler said...

I think identifying your most valuable traits in a workplace and learning to sell that image allows you to focus on the jobs that most want that trait, putting you in a greater place to succeed and be valued.

But's it's not what you value in yourself but what others value in you. So ask your boss and coworkers what they think is your most valuable traits. Most people value what's they do best the least and what the do worst the most. You may be surprised what others see as your valueable traits.

I don't think you need to worry about uniqueness.

TT. said...

I don't think you're afraid of succeeding; I just think you're afraid of changing. Everyone is, to some point, but I think you tend to automatically assume that every change is going to be bad. They can't all be bad, right?

SOUL said...

i didn't read this post-- i just wanted to get far enough back that maybe no one will see this comment-- if they do-- i guess it doesnt really matter.

i just kinda wanted to say something to you-- just from me-- to you-- ya know.
i've been reading here only for a few weeks. i even linked you up on my blog for a little while-- until i realized that you weren't a very responsive type of person.

but ya know-- maybe that's just how you roll, and if so -- i apologize for jumping the gun. i know folks who never respond to comments, and it doesn't mean they don't care- or read- or whatever.

but i spose what i'm saying, is just that- i have noticed that you write well, and you write often-- yet you don't have many regular 'peeps.' or at least it seems so to me.

i find so many of your posts real, and i also relate to a lot of them.

but when you don't respond to what i-- or anyone else for that matter--- has to say. well, it just kinda makes me feel like i'm wasting my time.

it makes me wonder if you are a lonely person. or if you just take folks for granted that since they do read what you write-- and obviously relate, and want more.
that all you have to do is write-- and they will come--

that may be true-- but it also may be true that one day-- you will end up writing for no one but yourself.

if someone has the courtesy to comment on what you have to say-- wouldn't you think that you should return that same courtesy to them?

just sayin.

happy sunday-
i hope you aren't alone today-