Thursday, December 4, 2008

Life isn't like the movies

I was talking with some friends yesterday and we had the conversation that movies set unrealistic expectations for us. Take the movie Dan in Real Life. I love that movie...there is one scene in particular that kills me...the scene towards the end where he realizes that he really has feelings for this woman and has sort of a melt down in front of his family and it felt so real...it felt like it could actually happen. I want that in my life...the real moments. Why don't they seem to happen?

Do movies set us up to expect what we can never really have? The unattainable life?

I came across this quote today:
"Sometimes what people choose to write down on paper is more important than what they say."

It sure ties in with the thoughts noodling around in my head doesn't it. Scripts do seem to have some power. Maybe it's people's way of writing down the kind of life they want....if it's true that you have to put out in the Universe the things you want before they come true is that what writing is about? Do we have to put down in writing the things/life you want and it may happen? Not like I want to win the lottery and bam they call your numbers, more like an overview? I don't know....it seems to make sense on some level.

There are a few movies that really stick out in my mind as moments I wish were a part of my life so that I could have written them down. In the movie Always - the scene when Holly Hunter comes downstairs in that beautiful dress and all the forest fighting guys stop dead and stare at her and then she says....Nobody's touching this dress until they wash their hands and all the guys RUSH to wash their hands. What a moment....it's just a tiny part of the movie but I imagine if that actual moment happened it would be amazing.

In As Good as It Gets....when Jack Nicholson is sitting with Helen Hunt in the restaurant and he says to her "You make me want to be a better man". That one sucks the breath right out of me. Can you imagine being around another person that actually makes you want to be a better person....to actually feel that...to beleive that....amazing.

I guess I do want a movie themed kind of life but not like The Omen or anything.

No comments: