Thursday, November 6, 2008

Boring or Routine?

I realized last night after a long bath that I fear becoming boring. As I soaked in the tub I thought about a lot of things…who I am, who I think I am and who I want others to think I am and I realized I’m this close to becoming boring, average, dull – routine.

Boring = a dull, tiresome, or uncongenial person (very unfavorable to life or growth). Boring, dreary, dry, dull, humdrum, irksome, monotonous, stuffy, tedious, tiresome, uninteresting, wearisome, weary.


Routine = a customary or regular course or procedure. Commonplace tasks, chores or duties. Regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative or rote procedure. Chronic, habitual, everyday, familiar, frequent, regular, average, common, repetitive,
widespread, rut.

I thought about my life in terms of a week. I do homework on Monday’s, have school on Tuesday's, work on Wednesday's, have some sort of IAAP on Thursday's and try like heck to find something to do on Friday's and then the weekend. I’m boring…or am I in a routine? I don’t know that there is much of a difference. If you are boring can you change that?

When my nephew was little when he was bored he used to say “Auntie I’m boring” I’d laugh and tell him “don’t worry, you’ll grow out of it”. What if you’ve grown into that? Can a person out grow boring?

I've always hated being average, status quo, a "C" student but on the other hand I want to be considered the "same as everyone else". Can a person have both? Should they? I try hard to be my own person, sometimes to the point of being stubborn or yes I'll say it....pig headed. It's hard to figure out who you are and what you want.

I've said it before, you can't look for external validation to make you feel anything but we do...well at least I do. If my job doesn't define me and my life doesn't define me....what defines me?

Do we all become so accustomed to routine in our lives that we become creatures of habit so easily?

The note from the Universe to day is:

Of course not everyone understands you,
It takes crazy to know crazy.
It takes sexy to know sexy.
And most assuredly, it takes cool to know cool.
Yeah, un-hun, alright -
The Universe

Wow....I am sexy, crazy AND cool. What more can a girl ask for?

2 comments:

TT. said...

Maybe your definition is "constantly searching." The question is, are you constantly searching for something that doesn't exist ... or that's already right in front of you?

Schnoodler said...

You may get bored, but you'll never be boring. Routines aren't all bad, you can't mix it up now and then without one. Plus it allows you to focus on more important things. So go ahead and have a routine.