Monday, November 10, 2008

The simple life

My nephew turned 6 this weekend. He's the youngest of my neices and nephews and still wants to and enjoys spending time with me. The others are too big and are trying to have their own lives and I am so far down on their list that I really only get to seem them during holidays. But not T....he loves his auntie and still likes to hang with me...he even hugged and kissed me in public....at the Mall of America...in front of God and everyone. Makes me happy. We went to the Rainforest Cafe, 0ne of his favorite places even though he hates it when it thunders and the monkeys come out, played minature golf and then closed down the day in the theme park area.

Do you remember the days when getting that one present made your life perfect? For T it was getting his creepy crawlers.....he wanted that so bad and so my sister and I played the perfect aunties and got it for him. His face lit up when he opened it and he came up to me later and said that was his favorite present...I almost cried. How magical that moment is when you open up something your heart desires more than life itself. For me....I really only remember it happening one time....when I was 13 I got my candle making kit that I was DYING for. I remember wanting it sooooo badly, I begged my mom for it...I was too old to beleive in Santa anymore but I secretly prayed to him to bring it to me and every present I opened Christmas morning I prayed was the kit. FINALLY....the last present, I had all but given up hope and then angels sang! Man I wanted that kit...I was so excited to get it and I imagined all the amazing candles I would make. Well like most of life's experiences, it was a huge dissappointment. It was really hard and I needed adult help and let me tell you...sitting with me to make candles was so far down on my parents list of things to do that I don't think I ever made one single candle.

Wouldn't life be great if it were like that moment...that moment of getting what you really really wanted. If we could bottle that exact moment and use it when we needed it that would be amazing. Though if we did that I suppose those actual moments wouldn't be as amazing then.....the glass is always half full...or empty.....or something.

I want a creepy crawlers moment. Is it possible to have those moments as an adult? Do we become so jaded by life that we forget to enjoy the little moments? I sure hope not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would hug and kiss you in public-in fact, i think I have.......

Schnoodler said...

I'm pretty sure most everybody has kissed fifi in public. Some she probably doesn't even know about. In fact when she fell asleep with me and TT at the coffee shop we had everybody who came in kiss her. the one guy was a bit creepy and we had to make him go away.