Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What's a name?

It's funny, I have always had the worst memory when it comes to names. I'm lucky I can remember my own on a good day and I am always amazed at people who not only know my name but remember it and I don't even remember meeting them! Maybe it's a sign of old age? Maybe it's just who I am? Ugh...names really escape me on most days.

I remember when I was president of my admin group I thought this will really help me hone my memory skills.....it didn't. It was easy for people to remember my name because they really only had to remember one name....me as the speaker had to try to remember lots of names and that was hard. Now that I work at the ET and the residents are pretty good at knowing my name but yeowers.....I can't remember their names much less their apt. numbers. Every time they come in with a slip that was left in their mail box saying they have a package I always have to say.....what apartment are you? I'm trying. Eric and Sarah are rock stars at this....they can remember names, apt. numbers and all sorts of stuff...I'm kind of jealous of that kind of a skill. I'm trying really hard to do that. I remember being so impressed early on that they knew my name....they always greeted me by name...that skill escapes me.

At work there is a security guard who always says good morning to me by name....every day. I don't remember ever telling him my name or really having any interaction with him but over the last few months I've realized he knows my name. Yesterday it dawned on me (no pun intended) that I have no clue what his name is so I asked the regular receptionist at the desk (I do know her name) what his name was and I was determined to say good morning back to him today using his name. I thought about it my whole drive in and I was preparing for it and then when I got to the lobby it was empty...he was no where to be found. Ahh....I was ready, I was prepared, I was going to be that person that said other peoples names out loud and make them feel valued.....dang it. Now of course I've forgotten his name and I'll have to ask again. What is in a name?

I realized I like it when people know my name. When I go to a favorite restaurant and the waiter or hostess knows me...I like that. When I go to get my hair done they remember I like a certain type of shampoo and when I go to get my nails done they know I like color, never leave them plain. I like feeling like I matter to people outside myself.....isn't that what this whole life journey is about. Last night I needed coffee...I was working on homework and just couldn't focus so I made a dash over to the Caribou and the boy behind the counter greeted me with a "hey there northern lights, decaf, sugar free vanilla" - haven't seen you in awhile. Without even asking he just made my drink, no questions asked. Oddly it gave me great joy that the barista knew enough about me to make me really happy for a moment.

Life's little joys are what keep us going.

One month from today is Christmas.....how much joy can you give in one month?

No comments: