Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Grand Gestures

What compels a person to stand on a bridge over the highway holding up political signs at 7am in the morning? Do they really think someone driving will see a McCain poster and say...wait, I changed my mind I am NOW going to vote for him? Don't you think people have already made up their minds? Do you really think a sign will change their mind? And don't these people have jobs? Lives? Something better to do than to stand on a bridge with a sign? I guess it's what they are passionate about so who am I to mock them?

Yesterday as I wandered at lunch trying to process all that is happening at work, I came across a sight that made me stop and stare. This couple was sitting outside by the fountain and the boy yelled out loud - I LOVE THIS WOMAN! He was clearly very happy about something and it made me thing about big grand gestures that people do for one another and it made me think.

I love big grand gestures. I also love surprises, unpredictable moments and unexpected events. But are they really necessary in life or in a relationship? Isn't it enough to have one other person know a food you can't eat, a drink you enjoy or to remember something you said? The quiet little moments that leave a mark on another person and they then pass it forward? I love the moments when some small gesture you did or some comment you made comes back to you as something meaningful for that other person. Those are the moments that make me happy.

I wonder how many moments in a day a person has an opportunity to leave a mark on another person and they don't even know it. I love getting a text in the middle of the day from someone because that means they were thinking about me when I am not even there. It makes me happy and feel included....same with an email...but somehow texting seems more personal...they had to chose to send it to me....not some group of people. It's not a grand gesture but it's a gesture.

Life goes by so fast, there are so many opportunites to make differences in others lives with small gestures but once in awhile who doesn't enjoy a big grand gesture?

No comments: