Saturday, November 22, 2008

Snow covered thoughts

I love my apartment. I love the floor to ceiling windows that overlook the world. Even though I'm only on the 4th floor I love the view when I sit at my table facing the world, especially when it's snowed. The world outside seems calm, beautiful and the rising smoke from the buildings gives me an odd sense of peace. I especially love it when it's snowing those big fluffy white flakes...I feel like I live in a snow globe.

Wouldn't that be kinda cool to live in a snow globe? Wait would it? Wouldn't you be at the mercy of whomever got to shake up your world when they felt like it? Hmm, wait I take that back. I like my world the way it is....even though I'm not really in control at least I don't have to worry about an unexpected shake up....wait.....

I feel like this week has had a lot of life lessons for me. Things I've really known but have sort of ignored....maybe it just was a good week of learning. I've decided to embrace my own life and I've decided that Christmas will come to my home this year! Having made those two decisions seems to have shifted something inside of me and is allowing me to......dare I say it....be happy again. :) I guess if we just accept what IS and stop trying to fight it things snap into place.

I have few regrets in my life....but some days I regret now having my own kids. I know I am super lucky to have a LOT of kids in my life, but not all the time. Which isn't all that bad but I got to have my 6 year old nephew overnight on Thursday and all day Friday and I forget how much work they are but how rewarding they are as well. I love that out of the blue he'll do something that makes my heart melt and then 5 minutes later he's a demon child. I imagine that if I did have a child full time I'd give up and let my hair go completely grey because I am guessing that in about 2 weeks I'd be fighting a losing battle. :)

Kids are really little buckets of joy to have around...probably more so because I don't have them all the time. I love that he loves to just sit at the bookstore and read books with no other agenda in mind...just sitting there reading book after book until he decides he is done. Just fun, free joy. I know in probably another year he won't want to spend this time with me so I'm grabbing it while I can. I love that when we are shopping he tells me he NEEDS something obsure like a floam snowman making kit. But Auntie, I need it. Gives me joy. One of my favorite things is I told him we look with our eyes not our hands and I made this funny sound and said you have make that sound when you look at something and like a litte mocking bird he does it. HA! Plus it's fun to have someone to go do the simple things with like grocery shop, go to Target with an even have lunch with. I introduced him to the concept of "brunch" because I kinda forgot to feed him breakfast....oops. I guess if you had one all the time that would become part of the care and feeding of those little creatures. :)

I also have a greater appreciation for the people in my life this week. People who the Universe has decided for some reason or the other to put in my life path. I have some new friends I am really enjoying getting to know more about and it's refreshing to hang out with people who have no expectations about who I am and just accept me as is.....the little joys in life. Plus it's so enjoyable when someone does something for you just because...like bring you a hot coffee at 7:30am when you have to work on a Saturday! :)

See...when you stop fighting what the Universe brings to you.

2 comments:

Schnoodler said...

Yes you must feed the little cretins.

TT. said...

Wait a minute. You're letting go and letting the universe handle it? Isn't this what you referred to as "giving up" when I did it???

Man, it would save you so much time if you just (say it with me now) ALWAYS ACCEPTED THAT I WAS RIGHT!

:-)