Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hearing what we want to hear

Sometimes we only hear what we want to hear. I talk to people all day and I have to be honest I'm sure I have some kind of ME filter on most times...how does this pertain to ME? I can give most people the surface level connection but I just don't let it go deeper than that. In my jobs I have lots of people contact all day and it can be draining.....I give people credit who choose to do that type of a job all day long, on purpose and remain sane.

Working at the ET is really causing me to practice and hone my listening skills. It's always been my weak point but I'm feeling like the Universe put the ET in my path to make me use and better my listening and hearing skills. Listening and hearing are similar but different. Residents stop in the office all the time and share little blurbs of info with me and me with them but most days I have to say I don't really let it sink in very much. Over the last few days I've had a few residents stop in and share large parts of their life history with me and it amazes me....it blows my mind to know things about these people on a deeper level. I have to say it kinda makes me see them....like really see them. I guess I didn't realize I wasn't doing that.

Who doesn't want to only hear what they want? It's funny when we stop being so self focused how much our world opens up. Wild.

We wear our past like a badge on our sleeve. Some people hide them, some proudly display them for all to see. At some point we become these open books that need to share our life pages. All people need is someone to listen, to hear them.....it's amazing what you hear when you listen.

Does listening to other peoples life stories change your own life story?

No comments: