Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Words, feelings and joy

It's funny how powerful the spoken word is. I've come to realize that more and more each day. Kind of like when people say your name....it gives you validation and a sense of belonging. I've said it before but if I had to choose to lose a sense, it couldn't be my ability to talk or to hear.

People don't realize the power of a kind word or of flattery. It can totally take a terrible day or feeling and melt it away like magic. I think that's what attracts me to certain people...I seek them out, I need them, I have to see them....because they are uber kind to me and they say things to me things I need to hear. They have the ability to make me feel really good about myself with just a kind word. Are we that easy that words make us so happy? Am I really that easy?

It's surprising to me when strangers say kind things to me or do a kind deed...like this morning. I was far enough away from the door that it wouldn't have been awkward for this man to go in without holding it open for me, you know, the kind thing to do, but he stood there and waited. He waited for me. It was so sweet. Then this man in the cafeteria said to me "Wow you look nice today" and I don't even know him, I mean I've seen him around but we have no connection other than we were both waiting to get coffee. It's 6:45am, I'm barely awake, struggling to get coffee and all of a sudden I felt like I could have climbed a mountain. Words have so much power. I know sometimes it can go the opposite way....believe me I've been on that side of it many many times but when people say nice things to you it just changes your whole day, your whole outlook. It makes you want to stand taller....maybe it's just me. I like it. I want to see that man every day now....of course that puts a lot of extra pressure on me to try to look good but I might be willing to give it a shot. I think it might be my kicky new red coat or my new lipstick that makes me feel sassy but it sure is nice to have people think you look nice. It's the little things that really bring me great joy.

Joy

There is this quote that goes: Joy is not in things, it is in us. I love that quote but if you really think about it...I'm not sure it's true, well not exactly for me anyway. I love things...stuff, material possessions. They bring me great joy. Is it in me or is it something that I bring to it?

I did some retail therapy this last weekend and I have to say....having money to buy what you want when you want it is really nice. I know it won't last, I know it's temporary but I enjoy having this little flurry of money that has allowed me to elevate my happiness level up one notch.

Everyday the news is more and more grim, people are unhappy, jobs are lost, families lose a loved one and the best we can do as people is make the most of the time we have with people here and now. The time to be happy is now. I think maybe that is inside all of us but we might just be afraid to let it out, to accept the reality that we can choose to be happy even in these tough times. Is being happy or content really that easy? Do we get to choose it like we choose a meal off a menu? Maybe McDonald's is onto something with their "happy meals".

I'm really in count down mode now for school to be done. I didn't really realize it until this GOD AWFUL class is one away from being done last night and I literally have 2 classes left.....4 months..... it's crazy! It went by really fast but yet it's completely consumed my life - but I don't think it's really all that bad. I've learned alot, dare I say it, I've grown mentally....or is it I just drank the kool-aide and I think that? I am counting down the days but I think the truth is....I might just miss being in school...miss the people, the routine....not the work though. God I won't miss that.

So there we have it....a kind word, a door held, school is coming to an end and the power a hand on the small of my back as I am riding the escalator makes me feel....simple gestures that make me feel important, feel valued, feel like I do matter - even if it's just for a few minutes.

My note from the Universe today....I am the spark!

In both relationships and life trust begets trust.
Generosity begets generosity.
Love begets love.


Be the spark, especially when it's dark.
Hubba, hubba -


The Universe

No comments: