Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Embracing the ugly

Sometimes we take a turn for the worse....we get angry, we sound off, we do something that is out of character for us...I call it an ugly moment. Now I bet your all expecting me to tell you about my latest ugly moment but actually it wasn't me at all ....it's what I've noticed about those who are having an ugly moment.

Embrace those moments people...let them happen...it's really a necessary part of life. You know that old adage only talk to people like you want to be talked to....screw it...I say every once so often let the ugly out.

Yesterday was a day I witnessed a few moments of ugly in others. I doubt they had it planned but I was an unexpected witness to their moments. At lunch I was waiting for an elevator when this woman went off like crazy to the person on the other end of the phone. Now I was only hearing her side of the conversation obviously but I still stared at her with my mouth wide open I'm sure. Something seriously set this woman off and she was screeching something about a red shoe, a dinner plate and car keys. I could not make sense of the conversation and I very well couldn't stand there and stare at her any longer for fear she would turn on me. I hope they hugged it out.

As I drove home there was the usual idiot on the road thinking they have every right to squeeze in at the very last second when for the last 20 miles the signs said "merge - lane ends" but what the heck...they have every right to just cut me off and make me slam on my breaks. Then there is the insecure co-worker that has to always put you down to make himself feel better. Ahh, a good day all around. I therefore dubbed it Martini Monday. Nice right.

I went to dinner with a friend and we did enjoy a martini - on the way back home about 10:00pm I was verbally assualted in my apt. lobby by an upset resident over a situation that had happened over the weekend. Ahh, what a nice way to end an ugly kind of a day. We didn't hug it out.

I think in the end we all need to embrace our ugly moments and get them out of the way. The true test of a person's character is how they react in unpleasant situations, I think, because of my age and the fact that I had a martini, I handled the ugly moment very well. It's always the aftermath I am leary about.

No comments: