Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Oh My God

When did it happen? I want a date, a time even a place. I looked in the mirror yesterday and was a bit mortified...I think I saw a glimpse of my mother AND my grandmother in the reflection!! I totally skipped having my own reflection and went straight to that gene pool!

Wow...that sure comes up on a girl fast doesn't it? I remember as a kid I loved to comb and style my grandmother's beautiful silver/white hair. It was so thick and it had some stiffness to it (probably from not washing it everyday) that made it stay in place once I styled it. I would spend hours doing that and then putting makeup on her. I loved to do that but I always got a little creeped out by her saggy eyelids...I mean when I would swipe the baby blue eye shadow across her lids (yeah, baby blue was popular even then!) I'd have to pull her eyes tight to get the whole lid....well God help me...my lids are kinda doing that now. It's terrible. Plus I noticed that more and more of my eyebrows are actually white...not grey but WHITE. Aww God...when did this happen. If I am wearing the wrong bra and sit a certain way, I get the wrinkly old woman boob look too...I've noticed that a time or two as well.

Wow...right before my very eyes I've aged. Not that it's a really terrible thing I guess I am just not that prepared for it. I don't feel old, well I don't feel as old as I now apparently look. Jesh.
One nice thing that comes with age is a little bit of perspective. I don't worry about a broken heart, or children disappointing me or ruining my figure by eating a carton of Ben & Jerry's - i's too late for me. Overall I don't mind being the age I am. I feel I have more patience, I don't feel like I have to worry or explain myself to anyone either....it's a nice life. So there's some grey/white hair and some saggy old lady skin to deal with but overall, it's a good thing. I have good friends and martini's to keep me moderately sedated....life is good.

You know what else comes with age....the ability to rewrite history. Yes that's right...I can now recreate all those awkward moments in time to be more pleasant than they really were. I can change names to protect the innocent and I can fabricate things...I've earned it. Ahh, now I want to write a book. It's kind of a comforting thought really, those moments that mortified me in my early days can jsut get a creative overhaul and become what I want them to become. Denial just ain't a river in Egypt people!

No comments: