Friday, September 26, 2008

Joys of getting old

I live in a building with a lot of elderly folks whose main concerns seem to be about when the mail will arrive and what you are doing coming home on a Thursday night so late for! We have a camera in the lobby and apparently it's the channel of choice for alot of residents. I will often get questioned by them when I come home late on a week night. It always makes me laugh...I wonder when that channel on my tv will become a favorite.

When I work during the day at ET our office is across the hall from a salon...during the day and the weekends it's filled with older woman....not older like I'm older, OLDER.....they are regulars too. Once a week they are washed, ratted and curled into a fancy old lady do that lasts until the next week. You can tell when they leave that they are feeling really good. The couple that run the salon are super accomodating to their older clients....they have coffee, cookies and walk their clients to the bathrooms all day long. They are their bread and butter and I'm guessing all for a $2 tip. I wonder if they factor into the cost of doing their hair the fact that they will get very little or no tip. I think it would be difficult to have a job that forced me to count on tips as part of my income. I could never work on commission either, I need a reliable income source.

What do these ladies have to talk about all day I wonder? I'd love to be sitting in there to hear what the conversations are. I see them talking away but I can't imagine what they are even discussing...I'm pretty sure it's not the current economic situation but I might be wrong. It does make me wish my grandmother was still around, I'd love to take her to the salon or to get her nails done and just hang out with her. Makes me really miss that I didn't spend more time with her when she was here. I wonder if people will think that about me. If so, what keeps us from doing that - spending more time with the people we like?

I suppose there are lots of reasons we have for not spending time with the people we like, lack of time, we get bored, or we think something more fun or exciting might come along. We get wrapped up in our own little bubbles and forget there are others out there. I like it when a resident comes to sit in the office with me and tells me they missed me. I worked alot last month in the ET office and residents got to see me more than normal...then they sit and share stories with me. It's kinda fun. It also helps pass the time.

Looking forward to a fun weekend, going to my first poker party on Saturday, hopefully I'll be a skilled player and ready to head to Vegas. ha!

No comments: